Since 2014, the NCETM and West Yorkshire Maths Hub Mastery Readiness Programme has trained hundreds of primary teachers to be confident around the principles of Teaching for Mastery. Schools have been helped by these specialists to bring these mastery principles to their maths lessons. Through a combination of collaborative face to face training and school visits, The Mastery Readiness Programme offers schools an opportunity to address the fundamental aspects of a Teaching for Mastery approach while simultaneously providing the opportunity to tailor the support to the individual needs of the school.
DEVELOPMENT WORKSHOPS AND REGULAR BESPOKE SUPPORT VISITS
If you choose to register on the programme, your school would be part of a small group of schools working together. Your school Maths Lead and another teacher (along with the headteacher initially) would attend these training events. Following the face-to-face sessions, a Mastery Readiness Lead from West Yorkshire Maths Hub would visit your school to revisit the themes and topics raised during the workshops and offer bespoke support, tailored to your school’s specific needs.
There is no charge for participation in the programme, for either the workshop events or for the support in your school. In addition, the second year of the programme, (Developing Teaching for Mastery) has £1,000 available to support teacher release.
- Release two teachers to engage in all events.
- Give these teachers the opportunity to lead professional development in school.
- Actively support reflection and collaboration among staff in the pursuit of improvement.
The workshops and support include:
- An understanding of the key principles of Teaching for Mastery and how to support schools to implement this through clear leadership and strong classroom practice.
- Support for headteachers in addressing leadership issues related to mathematics and contributing to raising standards.
- Opportunity to work closely with other schools also developing mastery readiness.
LIMITED PLACES AVAILABLE
This programme is only available to those schools that have not taken part in previous years. In addition, we are nearing our DfE allocation for this programme, which means that this could be the final year that this offer would be available. Completion of Mastery Readiness also makes your school eligible for a range of other support packages and resources, all aimed at supporting schools’ journey in Teaching for Mastery.