Support for teachers new to teaching this qualification.
This programme supports teachers in developing specialist knowledge for teaching Core Maths and increases their confidence in teaching the course. It involves a direct working partnership between the Maths Hubs Network and the Advanced Mathematics Support Programme (AMSP) and is free to participating schools.
The principal focus is on Core Maths subject knowledge and pedagogy, and the programme will be based on six key themes:
- Using contextualised problem solving
- Applying Fermi estimation and modelling
- Developing critical analysis
- Making sense of finance
- Using the pre-release materials
- Exploring statistics
Technology and online teaching will also be underlying themes.
This programme is for teachers who are in their first two years of teaching Core Maths and are teaching a Core Maths class during the academic year 2022/23.
- Your students will gain raised awareness of the use of maths and statistics in everyday life
- You will plan lessons/sequences of lessons to promote student understanding, confidence, and progress
- You will understand the philosophy of Core Maths, with its approach to maths through contextualised problem solving
- You will understand how online learning and technology can be used to support Core Maths teaching